Friday, May 22, 2009

Guild, Birthday and Ripped

Last Saturday we had a really nice guild meeting - several members worked with other members to teach / learn crochet basics. Having learned to crochet as a child, I thought, No problem - I'll sit in with the group learning to read a crochet chart...

... HA!

Boy was I wrong - I just could not get it, despite Linda D's best efforts.

I passed a knitting milestone this week, though. I knit Chris, my DearManFriend (DMF for short) a pair of socks. Yes, 2 socks, an entire pair! I was so thrilled as I completed sock number two that I almost missed that I had
knit
the
toe
wrong.

Yes, you read that correctly! I had to frog the toe portion of sock number two and re-knit it! I learned a lot (how to correctly rip out a toe and how to figure out where I went wrong so I could do it right) - so I guess it is still a good thing.

Today is his birthday. I left the toes un-woven-in so that if the socks are too short, I can rip the toes out again and make the socks longer!

sock 2

Tune in tomorrow for another episode of ...

how the heal turns
or
how to deal with a frogged sock...!
(not!)

4 comments:

Amanda said...

My grandmother taught me to crochet as a child but I never really felt comfortable doing it. Socks look good and how wise to leave the toes unwoven. I hope they fit.

Christina said...

The socks look great.
Happy Birthday to Chris!

Channon said...

Happy birthday to Chris, and congrats on the socks!

Firefly Nights said...

Please wish Chris a belated birthday.

Great idea leaving the socks open until he tries them on.

I haven't gotten into socks yet. So far I've made one tiny sock just to learn the process. So, you're ahead of me.

Your Love Life is Like Casablanca
"Kiss me. Kiss me as if it were the last time."

For you, love is never finished. If you've loved someone once, you'll always love them.
You're an old fashioned romantic... even if your relationships don't end up as romantic as you'd like.

Your love style: Traditional and understated

Your Hollywood Ending Will Be: Complicated and ambiguous