Monday, December 29, 2008

Once again, time is just flying on by!


Since the last post, I worked a whole week of work, negotiated with the bank and car dealership (see photo taken by Chris of me and new car on Saturday prior to onset), and started getting ready for the holiday, only to be tackled on Sunday by 'the cold' ... not just any cold, but the mother of all colds: headache, body aches, sore throat, cough, runny nose - you name it! [imagine the sound of a TB ward and you'll get the idea]

I staggered through the beginning of last week, trying to get baking done, fudge made, final presents obtained, things wrapped, floors vacuumed, knitting finished, and and and.... On the eve of the eve (December 23rd, that is) I had gotten the black walnut fudge and 2 batches of pound cake made (black walnut recipe of my grandmother and English walnut/rum - my own variation). I had even managed to cool the little pound cakes and had wrapped them in foil bundles (labeled of course appropriately). So, I took myself into the bedroom to nap a little so I could cut the fudge later and separate it into bundles to be gifted. Upon return to the kitchen, I found that Tippy (former wearer of Elizabethan collar) had DEVOURED 4 of each - four little black walnut poundcakes and four little English walnut poundcakes - as well as about 1/3 of the fudge. What a scamp, eh? [I can joke now, but not last week...] Oh and the answer to the question is "yes, it did give her an upset tummy."

Christmas was lovely, despite the cold. Son T and I attended a Christmas bruncheon with Chris's family - all were present except for older brother's fiance and her kids (stomach bug at that house!). T met the other 3 teenagers of the family and enjoyed it, believe it or not! The kids are 19, 18, 17, 16 and 15. We spent an enjoyable several hours there and then headed back North to my sister's home for Christmas dinner with our family. We spent another enjoyable couple of hours dining and opening more presents.

We ended the evening a little early due to my cold, but it was a lovely day, despite the bittersweet memories this season. We miss Nathan so much. He was a vibrant, electric force and things are just a bit too quiet without him.

3 comments:

TinkingBell said...

You have certainly had and `interesting' couple of months! Hope the new year brings you stuff a lot less ineresting, but with lots of quiet knitting time and a cure for the cold! Happy New Year!

SissySees said...

No, no, bad dog! Sissy's been trying, but we've caught her, plus I put everything back, out of her reach...

Hope you feel better soon and wishing you a peaceful 2009!

Tina. said...

Wow that cold appears to be making it's rounds I have had for a few days now with sometype of asthma like attack last night!Scary!

Anyhow in doggy land, Sampson ate all the greenies in his and Honey Dew's stocking. I had an unopened package in their containing 6 greenies! Talk about getting your fiber! It didn't appear to do any undo harm.

Happy New Years from our house to yours!

Your Love Life is Like Casablanca
"Kiss me. Kiss me as if it were the last time."

For you, love is never finished. If you've loved someone once, you'll always love them.
You're an old fashioned romantic... even if your relationships don't end up as romantic as you'd like.

Your love style: Traditional and understated

Your Hollywood Ending Will Be: Complicated and ambiguous